NYSE Euronext (NYX) today announced that … Exchange-traded funds matched volume (included in the trading volume numbers above) increased 112% to 491 million shares.
NYSE Euronext (NYX) today announced trading volumes for its global cash equities and derivatives exchanges for December 2008, as well as other business metrics. December 2008 trading volumes were characterized by strong year-over-year growth in U.S. cash trading, stable European cash trading volumes and lower futures and options trading volume across our U.S. and European derivatives platforms. For the full-year 2008, NYSE Euronext registered double-digit growth in trading volumes across U.S. and European cash and derivatives product areas.
December Trading Volumes
U.S. cash products average daily volume (“ADV”) increased 30% to 3.3 billion shares2.
• NYSE-listed matched volume (Tape A) increased 21% to 2.2 billion shares.
• Tape A matched market share was 43.4%, compared to 42.7% in November. The increase in share was driven in part by the introduction of the NYSE’s new market model in October which established a new category of liquidity provider, the Supplemental Liquidity Provider and replaced Specialists with Designated Market Makers.
• NYSE Arca- and Alternext US-listed matched volume (Tape B) increased 148% to 519 million shares.
• Nasdaq-listed matched volume (Tape C) increased 4% to 292 million shares.
• Exchange-traded funds matched volume (included in the trading volume numbers above) increased 112% to 491 million shares. European cash products ADV was stable with 1.2 million transactions
• European cash trading activity qualifying for Pack Epsilon pricing represented 36% of total transactions executed.
European derivatives products ADV decreased 19% to 2.9 million futures and options contracts.
• Total interest rate products ADV decreased 27% to 1.2 million contracts.
Total equity products (including Bclear) ADV decreased 12% to 1.6 million contracts. Bclear, Liffe’s trade administration and clearing service, processed 709 thousand contracts per day, a decrease of 21%.
U.S. equity options ADV decreased 10% to 1.6 million contracts.
Year-to-Date Trading Volumes
U.S. cash products ADV increased 23% to 3.5 billion shares and European cash products ADV increased 23% to 1.6 million transactions.
European derivatives products ADV increased 10% to 4.1 million futures and options contracts. Total interest rate and equity products (including Bclear) ADV increased 7% and 15%, respectively. Bclear, Liffe’s trade administration and clearing service, processed 746 thousand contracts per day, an increase of 55%. In 2008, over 1 billion contracts were traded on Liffe for the first time.
U.S. equity options ADV increased 36% to 1.8 million contracts.
The average EUR/USD exchange rate for the month of December 2008 and the fourth quarter of 2008 declined 7% and 9%, to $1.352 and $1.319, respectively, compared to December 2007 and the fourth quarter of 2007. The average GBP/USD exchange rate declined 26% and 23%, to $1.482 and $1.570, respectively, compared to December 2007 and the fourth quarter of 2007.
Source: ETFWorld.co.uk -NYSE Euronext